The glass water bottles in your fridge, bathroom, or car are made from a plastic bottle.
They’re also more likely to be contaminated with bacteria than the glass bottles used in the past.
But there are other signs you might be putting your health at risk, including having a weak immune system, and consuming more alcohol.
Here are five things to look out for when purchasing a glass or plastic water bottle.
What you need to know about water bottles and disinfection bottles How can you keep water bottles safe?
The best way to keep your water bottle safe is to wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water after using it.
Avoid drinking water that has been left in the fridge for more than 30 minutes.
If you have symptoms of infection, you should consult your GP or contact your local health centre for advice.
If your bottle has been used for more that two days, wash it thoroughly before you put it into the fridge.
This will ensure the bacteria can’t multiply.
What to do if you suspect you’ve had an infection How can I protect myself from infection?
If you suspect there is an infection in your home, you may be able to: wash your hand thoroughly with warm soapy water.
If it’s too hot to do this, boil it in a pan with a lid until it becomes cold.
If this doesn’t help, you can add a bit of bleach or disinfectant to your water before using it again.